Robinlovers Forum  

Go Back   Robinlovers Forum > All about Rio Grande Pickups > For Tele

Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 PM

Default I SOOOO need new pups

08 Baja.

Neck, looking for a Texas blues strat type tone, output and clarity.
Bridge, want a fuller, less spikey sound. A bit more output wouldn't hurt.
I play classic rock and modern blues style stuff. not really any jangle pop, no country or traditional tele tones. No modern metal.

I play with a Marshall VintageModern half stack. KT66 power tubes. Gets a little bit blackfaceish at times. Roars the rest. I've got the LesPaulish/PRS type tones more than covered. I just cant get into strats, I've tried.

I guess I want a tele/strat/junior thing. I love everything about my tele except the pups. I am concerned with having too hot/muddy pups and extra noise.

Tallboy neck/halfbreed bridge ?

Halfbreed neck/muy grande bridge ?

2 muy grandes ????

all suggestions are appreciated, thank you. Low
Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 AM

Tallboy/Halfbreed is okay, but the Muy Grande is mighty tasty in a Tele Bridge... I'm a big fan of the Halfbreed/Muy Grande combo. Even a Tallboy/Muy Grande combo is slick in a Tele. There, that was helpful, wasn't it?

The Muy Grande has a big sound and it's not going to muddy up. The Tallboy and the Halfbreed are both great pickups, with the Halfbreed probably an easy choice to match your "Texas Blues" search for the neck... with the amp you're running the Vintage Tallboy is gonna hit that nicely as well. It's not a "weakly" pickup, you just get a little more push from the Halfbreed.

Let us know how it turns out!

Smitty
Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 PM

I just recieved the Tallboy neck and Muy bridge. I will fire up the iron tomorrow and post my thoughts for ya.

One question. Are all Tallboy necks reverse wound ? The dealer couldn't tell me if it was or wasnt and didnt show an additional part number indicating more than one coice.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 PM

Pups are installed and sound beyond great.

BUT....

I am getting white noise static unless I touch the control plate. Any ideas where I should look ? The pickups are functioning correctly in all positions.

The only thing I did was twist up the pup wires and wires for the output jack.
Would it make a difference if the wires were not all wound in the same direction ?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:58 PM

Don't hold me to it, but Teles are notorious for open circuits in the ground wire between the control cavity and the bridge. That could very well be your culprit. Good luck, and congratulations on your new (and wise) pickup selections.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 PM

Thanks, I figured it out. The Fender bridge Broadcaster pup had a grounded baseplate. No plate on the Rio. I made a bridge to ground jumper. Silent now. More so than it was stock. I got rid of the S1 contraption as well. complete sillyness IMO.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 PM

Just to follow up. The Rio's I have chose are great, I could not of imagined the grandslam I nailed chosing these. My Tele flat rocks and does the Tele thing as well, but better now. The bridge is thick and fat, before it was thin and a bit harsh at times. the neck was low in output and beyond dark and muddy. Beyond useless. Now the Neck just sings with clarity and output. I had to lower it down to actually give the bridge a chance output wise.

I have been having a rough go with humbuckers lately and after 5 different winds from the same company. And believe it or not one DOA upon install and two that have dropped a coil within a couple weeks after install, perma-coil split. I have lost faith in this company.

Rio BBQ and whatever are looking real good right now. Just gotta sell off some of my "other brand" pup collection that is growing here.